Jessica Girard, MA
- Education:M.A. Art Therapy, The George Washington University,
B.A. Studio Art/History, Brandeis University
- Location:Pediatric Specialists of Virginia’s Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders
- Joined Tracy’s Kids:As an intern in 2011, and as an employee in 2012
- Artistic Interests:Painting (oil, acrylic and watercolor) and collage
- Favorite Artists:Winslow Homer, Claude Monet, and Jasper Johns
- Three words to describe me:Kind, creative, and passionate
- Favorite Places:Cape Cod, New Hampshire, and South Africa
- Reflection:By offering our patients and their families an individualized, self-guided, creative outlet for expression, we are able to help them navigate the extremely difficult, frightening, often chaotic journey through cancer treatment. Time and time again, I have seen a family’s experience in the clinic transformed by the power of the creative process. It is truly a privilege to witness the depth of courage and resilience shown by our patients and their families on a daily basis.
- A highlight or accomplishment in my work this year:I helped to expand programming to Inova Children’s Hospital so that my patients and their families have access to in-patient art therapy services at the hospital!